Thursday, January 20, 2011

Message from kindergarten teacher - Ms. Simon

To All My Birch Meadow Colleagues, Families, and Friends,

I have very exciting news! I am going to Africa this summer to teach and to train teachers! I am excited about this once in a lifetime opportunity and want to invite everyone in my world to participate and help make this experience the best it can be!

Do you have any clothing or shoes that your children have outgrown? I would love to send them to the students at the schools I will be visiting. I will be visiting four schools in two separate areas of Zimbabwe. One school is in Victoria Falls and three are a few hours from there (travelling by jeep through a game preserve ) deep in the bush!

Please bring any donations to my classroom, room #6, or give them to Birchie parent Deb Wiese who has graciously offered to help with the clothing drive. She has been to Africa and found it to be a phenomenal experience! We may place a large box in the foyer, if we get tons of items—stay tuned!

• There are approximately 150 kids in each school from grade 0 (kindergarten) through grade 7, including some high school students.
• The kids are thin and typically on the shorter side.
• They are in particular need of socks, shoes, hats, and leggings, for the girls to wear under their uniforms, as it gets cold in the winter but would welcome other clothes as well.
• Please separate donations into boy and girl items to expedite shipping and delivery.

The final day to bring in donations is Friday, February 11th!

As I get more information I may make other requests for items you no longer need!

I appreciate your help very much!

Peace,


Maria Simon

No comments: